I've been waiting to hear back from uni to find out my last module mark. I got an e-mail this morning saying I got 24 out of a possible 100 for my assignment on the Thai financial crisis of '97, which is the equivalent of a C. This was absolutely shocking; the mark is well below my average, and it's well below my next lowest mark. At first I thought the lecturer from Warwick was being harsh for the sake of it, but when I phoned the office I found out that the Warwick grade has not been recieved yet. So the grade I've been given is what the Thai module coordinator has given me, and there has been no moderating of the grade with Warwick, which is what usually happens.
I thought about it for a bit, then I realised who the Thai lecturer was; it was my thesis advisor, the one who insisted that I fill up my thesis with waffle. It wasn't really surprising that I got a grade like that from him; he probably thinks he's raising the standard of Chula higher than Warwick.
Usually, if I put in the same amount of effort into an assignment, I get about 50; I did the research, I spent the time on it, and I get a 24, which is something you give to someone who demonstrates absolutely no knowledge, and puts in very little effort.
The grade is final and I thought it would fuck up my GPA. Luckily, it only knocks it down to a 3.20, which is good enough for me, although I would have been happier with a B for my last mark.
I can't wait to see my grade from Warwick; I think I'll start writing the letter of complaint now.
Monday, May 24, 2004
Shocking Result from Uni
