You've seen it in the movies, where the dumb traveller is feasting on exotic foods with their hosts, then they ask what a particularly tasty treat is that they are munching on, only to find out it is something disgusting like buffalo testicles and they spit the whole lot out in an advent of puking.
Well, I was that dumb foreigner, chowing down on the finest of Chinese cuisine with a gathering of people from my master's degree course. I was happily scoffing something rather tasty when I made the error of asking what it was. I was told that it was in fact pig toes. Upon hearing this, it instantly tasted like cat's bum (so I imagine). Fortunately, I managed not to offend my friends by puking the lot up and managed to swollow, with great difficulty, what I had in my mouth. From then on I was quite happy to be ignorant.
Wednesday, December 01, 2004
Strange Food
