Lately, I have been bored out of my tree, so I decided to check out some of the harcore Frenchy techno artists/labels that I was really into before I left the UK.
Actually, I only ever really liked stuff that Crystal Distortion, ixy and 69db made. To me, these folks have real talent. Typically, half the music played at a teknival is so minimalistic and dull that you'd have to have half you brain removed to enjoy it (I suppose you can easily achieve that state of mind by taking a few grams of K), but these three write and play music that is interesting and enjoyable.
I downloaded a couple of sets the other day and it has inspired me to get out Reason again.
I find techno much easier than DnB, even when I'm writing breaks, because I'm not too concerned about making the break sound a certain way or finding the right samples. I think this is because there is so much variety in techno that most of what I write won't sound out of place. However, DnB has a certain, I don't know, formula/standard that I can't achieve on this crappy machine and I end up spending too much time looking for samples and tweaking that I'm not actually writing the tune.
I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about what has been written before and write what I think it good.
Sunday, April 17, 2005
Frenchy Hardtek
